Thursday, June 20, 2013

Summer School aka Dress Rehersal... The Classroom Economy in full force

Today was our second week of summer school already (and there is only 4!)

I am LOVING the fact that I am having the opportunity to not only meet some of my future students (I am teaching 4th grade summer school and 5th grade next year) but I am getting a sneak peek at what works with these guys.

I am still in primary mode and I was super nervous that I would either be too cheesy for them, or that all my smilies and saddies and the coupon store wouldn't work out for them. Lucky for me, kids (at any age) will do ANYTHING for extra recess :)

I am also getting to work out all the kinks as far as our classroom economy goes! With help from my absolute FAVORITE teacher blog Teaching in Room 6 I set up the basic Earnings and Fines (with a little tweaking.) What I wasn't sure of was how to keep track of everything -without having a student do it, because summer school is only 4 weeks long and we just don't have time to 'train' a merchant.

So I came up with The List:




At the end of the day, I input the list onto a spread sheet which, HALLELUJAH, does all the math for me reaaal quick. I then copy/paste the day's pay onto the weekly payroll spreadsheet, another one that adds everything up for me, and on Friday Payday I am ready for payroll.

I also created a mail merge with Microsoft Word to create paychecks! I will have them practicing writing numbers in word form before they can 'cash' their paychecks with our bankers.


Please stop by my TPT store and support all of my hard work :) I just uploaded the CLASSROOM ECONOMY SUPER PACK - it includes all of my spreadsheets, the blank check books for a mail merge AND 11 different colorful coupons <3

Thank you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment