Sunday, May 10, 2015

Keeping track of things

A pile of papers to grade does nothing for either my sanity or my kiddos. They weren't getting the type of immediate feedback that I wanted them to have and I was falling further and further behind. Toward the middle of the year I started giving my kiddos a grade right as they finished working on their short independent practice pages, we practiced the procedure as well as what I needed them to do while they waited for feedback. It takes a lot of student independence to make it happen, but it isn't impossible :)

After about a week of working through a first-time learning direct instruction lesson, and once I know that at least most of my kiddos are ready, I assign Independent Practice. The assignment is usually a slide embedded into our Google slides lessons, a CFA (common formative assessment) created by our third grade team. 

1. Students work in their 'offices' (basically two file folders stapled together)
2. Students close their office and place their independent practice page, face down, on top of their office.
3. Students chose from our Must Do - May Dos once they are finished with their work, and are waiting for me.

4. Students who have already received feedback record the objective and their score on a progress tracking sheet (click HERE to check it ou)

5. Once all my kiddos have received feedback, and a score, they turn in their work in number order.

All I have left to do is input the scores into my grade book!





No comments:

Post a Comment