Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Daily Five + and Prove it Posters

My BUILD math centers did not translate well from 2nd grade to 5th grade... bummer! Good news is, this led to adding math as it's own 'center' during our Daily 5 time (now 20 minutes almost every day!)

I tried to do the math games deal but I kept falling behind on adding new games :/ I've definitely noticed that when something isn't interesting or exciting enough I tend to forget about it more often. Pretty sure I have adult onset ADHD, is that a thing?

... but, I digress....

I have FINALLY found something that works for our math center AND is super easy to prepare for AND is so Common Core with the amount of writing my kiddos need to do! Yay!

I write a math problem, word problems included too of course, on a 3x5 card. On the back, I give the answer away for free. Students must then PROVE the answer is correct using PICTURES and WORDS (love that immediate feedback and problem solving if their answer doesn't match mine!)

The "prove it cards" (3x5s) are numbered - I also plan on color coding them by CCSS strand, maybe a summer project. I put these, along with paper and math "tools" aka manipulatives in a few bins right underneath our agenda.

Students who 'check in' for math during our scheduled Daily 5 time (two ten minute blocks on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays - otherwise we are in the computer lab) meet up with a partner and work on their Prove it Poster together.

Love how they snuck in some Minecraft 


No comments:

Post a Comment