Sunday, February 17, 2013

Quick Check!

I am obsessed with Checking for Understanding during any and every lesson. I do a ton of thumbs up/down and I definitely use student white boards.... now here is where I ran into issues. I started with plain individual whiteboards and a class set of dry erase markers. Unfortunately, I ran into the same issue I did last year - I have seriously spent SOOO much money on dry erase markers UGGGGHHHH - some of my kids write SO HARD and some leave the cap off etc...etc...etc I finally decided to assign markers so that they are now responsible for THEIR own. NEXT issue - I don't let my students keep whiteboards in their desks - that is just too tempting, if you know what I mean, besides - literally every single lesson (focus lesson) that I do, the kids are on the carpet - they only go to their desks for independent practice. I needed a way for them to have their own NUMBERED whiteboard on the carpet.

Dollar Tree to the rescue! First off, they have 4 packs of dry erase markers! EXPO brand (in my own opinion) don't work because they are too good, does that make sense? I feel like they are meant to write very clearly and bright - not necessarily what I need them for. If I use EXPOs they will last me all year - when my kids use them, they only last about a week! and they are not cheap :(



IDEA! I was already using tupperware from the Dollar Tree for the kids book boxes, I thought if they had the same type of box - but half the size I could number the box itself and the markers and erasers could be stored inside AND since they are plastic they can be written on with the dry erase markers!

Also organized by team color - so it's easier for them to find and return quickly.



Here's the first attempt: you can see them in the top left hand corner:

No comments:

Post a Comment